Thursday, March 23, 2006

Captain Kangaroo!

As I mentioned before, Ericka & Mathias were both introduced to kangaroo care Tuesday night. It was a terrific experience for both. Ericka told me so and we're extrapolating from Mathias' persisting snoozing through the whole thing that he approved.

Today, my number was up! I was preparing all day for a truly memorable father-son bonding experience. To quote the fictional Bud Fox "Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them"

A word on taking Mathias out of the incubator... As you may have seen in photos, he's hooked up to about a dozen cords, sensors, and tubes. When he comes out of the incubator he's still hooked up to all the marvels of modern medicine. That means that it literally takes 10 minutes to get him out of the incubator trying to keep everything straight. You have to sit right next to the incubator and be very careful not to get tangled up in anything. It is quite the project to get him out and it needs to be carefully planned out. It is not like you can set him down on the floor while separating the milk tube from the surface temp monitor.

So, I'm sitting in the reclining chair and the certifiably cutest child in the world is placed on my chest (hat and all). As soon as he lands it is abundantly clear that he is very, very unhappy being there. You might be too if you were pulled out of a comfy climate controlled home and placed in an unfamiliar situation wearing a loaded diaper. It was 10 minutes to get him out and five minutes to get him back, separated by two less than stellar minutes in kangarooville. When he was back in the incubator with a new diaper he was happy as a clam. I redeemed myself a little by being the one bringing diaper relief.

We may try again tomorrow.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patrik.....as the saying goes......
Never, Never, Never Giveup!
Captain Kanga and Little Roo will have many more bonding moments soon! Am so anxious to meet Little
Roo! Lots of Love Aunt B & crew.

March 24, 2006 12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Captain Kanga,

It won't be the first time Baby Roo has another agenda. As with a lot of parenting....don't take it personally. A fabulous snuggle is in your near future!

March 24, 2006 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always forget to sign these darn things....The above post from Lydia.

March 24, 2006 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I continue to be amazed. He is so perfect. Seems like he is growing right in front of our eyes. I guess he is. Ericka, I haven't been able to stop back up because I have a cold, but want you to know that I think of you guys everyday. Mom sent a message yesterday. She is amazed too.
Take care, Let me know if you need anything. Brandy

March 24, 2006 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patrick,
I had to laugh at the process of getting Mathias out of the incubator! How true it is! I was always afraid to make any movements in fear that I would dislodge an IV or something. Introducing the pacifier made me think back to when I walked into the NICU one morning and I could see Elle in her incubator. I could see from a distance something hooked up to Elle's mouth. I instantly thought she was back on the vent, panicked, and then realized when I got up closer she had a pacifier in her mouth. It looked so big! Glad to hear he is continuing to have good days!
Kami Guthmiller

March 24, 2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej igen!
Vilken lycka för oss att kunna följa er på vägen, det är så spännande att öppna sidan och se om det kommit några nya bilder och kommentarer.
Det är fantastiskt med datorer, jag har printat ut några av bilderna till mamma Greta som hon kan titta på.
Du är toppenduktig både att fota och skriva kluriga kommentarer. Den gröna mössan var fräck. Kram till er alla tre från Birgit och alla övriga Johansson o Persson.

March 24, 2006 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web tracker